These are comments made by students either on formal evaluations or via informal channels. I’ve tried to leave these unedited, as much as possible, although I’ve removed identifying information and possibly line endings. Otherwise, these are as I received them. I’ll continue to add new comments as they come in.
- I loved taking this course with Doane. He is the best professor at UAlbany.
- He is the best and very helpful teacher at UAlbany!
- Professor Doane is a great instructor, very clear and knowledgeable.
- Instructor was great. I wish the course was a bit longer so we could learn in more detail.
- Awesome instructor. [I] wish Prof Doane could teach all my classes.
- A wonderful man. Professor Doane– without a doubt in my mind– should be a tenured professor at SUNY Albany.
- One of the best professors I’ve had in my 4 years at Albany. I wish I had taken more of his classes before I graduated.
- Great Professor; would choose him as a teacher for another class again.
- Professor D. is amazing… helped me with my website… always helpful after class and I always liked giving him advice about his iPhone.
- One of my favorite professors of all time.
- Fantastic class. A true pleasure to have your insight.
- Prof Doane went above and beyond to make sure EVERYONE understood the material, and he was more than willing to put in the extra time/effort to help his students on a daily basis.
- He was wonderfully instructive and great to talk to.
- The course was excellent & I am very glad to be a part of this class. It was extremely informative.
- Prof. Doane was VERY helpful and would go out of his way to make sure every student understood the subject matter.
- The course was great. Thought it was a prep course for A+ certification (already certified), but I was wonderfully surprised. Learned a lot more than I thought I would.
- Doane is the man. We always had great conversations and [he] is a master in the field.
- Good, enthusiastic, and very knowledgeable.
- Great teacher! Has a lot of knowledge. Will recommend to friends.
- [I] liked the openness of the class discussions and how class was run.
- Thanks for everything Mr. Doane. By far you’re the best teacher i’ve had so far. And no, i’m not just saying that.
- Hello Mr. Doane. I wanted to write you and wish you a happy holiday and a happy new year. I have enjoyed every class I have taken with you. Your insight is great on a wide range of topics. Since it is the time to be thankful for things, I wanted to write you that. [received at Christmas-time]
- It was a pleasure taking your class.
- Taking your programming class and working as your TA changed my life. I wouldn’t be where I am– on this career track in technology– if it wasn’t for you. I’m right where I want to be, doing what I want to be doing. I feel like everything is perfect– and I have you to thank.
- Thank you – you always manage to take something complex and cut it to the simple bare bones of the matter.
- I wish I could take more classes with you. You’re the best teacher I’ve had so far, you’re funny, and you keep classes interesting.
- The experience I have acquired … will stay with me for the rest of my career. Being able to work with a diverse group of people to create a website … was a new experience for me. I feel that this website meant more to me than anyone else because it was for my fourth grade teacher as the same school I attended with I was in fourth grade. [She] was one of my favorite teachers growing up. To be able to make a website that she can use for her future classes means a lot. Having the opportunity to be at the school to see the kids as they work on the site was different and exciting. Actually working with them to navigate through the site was another first for me. Seeing how much fun and excitement on the children’s faces made me feel like the work was more important than “normal” course work… I learned a lot… not just about creating a website, but how to work with other people and how to create content for a specific audience. Thank you for the opportunity to be part of this learning experience.
- Working on a website project was new to me, especially working in a team environment. I thought the experience was invaluable and I enjoyed the interaction with you in class. It was one of the most enjoyable and worthwhile classes I’ve taken…
- I took this class for fun, I thought it would be easier. However, at the end, I would conclude that the course is much harder than I thought, and I did have more fun. Also, what we’ve done is much, much cooler than I thought!
- I am a Senior who is graduating in the Summer. I just wanted you to know that I really enjoyed taking this course this semester. I found the coursework interesting and challenging. Also I feel that I learned material that I will remember throughout my lifetime… You are a great teacher. Thank You.
- This class has had been a really good experience for me and very enjoyable to [sic] because of the hands on development.
- I would like to thank you for a wonderful experience this semester, honestly it’s the only class I’ve taken so far that has turned on any lights regarding what I can or could do once I graduate with my… degree… really before this class I had no idea what I was going to be doing after fall 2008. But after taking this course I can finally say I’ve found something interesting, and that I enjoy (though frustrating at times) doing. I came into this class knowing absolutely nothing at all about web design, and right now I believe I could [have] done the project on my own. Though it might take a little longer… I can’t Say it enough how much i enjoyed what we did this semester, just looking at what we did and how it will benefit the younger generations with improving the way they can learn and also hopefully increasing their interest in learning… This interests me so much, to where I would love to be involved with this as a career, either working for the… Dept of Education or… freelance.
- Doane was a pretty great professor overall. He taught effectively, had a sense of humor, and had a passion for what he was teaching.
- Nice course layout… It was a pleasure having you as a teacher.
- Professor was great and I enjoyed the class
- Very knowledgeable and intelligent instructor who makes the class interesting and fun.
- Great class. Nothing more to say.
- Hi Prof. Doane. Thank you so much for all your guidance under which we as students have thrived and become much better.
- This was by far my favorite class!! Thanks again!!
- Professor William Doane has a brilliant approach to teaching. He connects with students with the conservative method of constructive criticism. Rather than being a harsh critique, Professor Doane breaks comments down effectively to encourage student improvements; therefore, all of his remedial suggestions have been applied with self-assurance. His observations are valued because trust has been earned. The professor’s Audio Introduction is an ingenious way to connect with distance learning students. Audio and a picture builds the trust philosophy.
- Professor Doane has been, by far, the most responsive and helpful instructor I’ve had… Feedback on projects was always comprehensive and constructive, seminars were completely engaging with ample use of whiteboard and programming examples to illustrate significant concepts, response to issues or hurdles was rapid, personal (even using AIM and one-to-one telephone conversations, if necessary), and highly team-oriented. Prof. Doane’s “building block” approach in this syllabus was very effective, in my opinion. Participation in discussion boards was likewise dedicated and filled with personal expertise and sage advice. A truly professional educator and highly skilled programmer.
- Professor Doane’s strengths include his commitment to his student’s success and his patience. Consistently through out the course of this term he has been kind enough to provide one on one assistance and continue to provide encouragement. He is always available and is excellent about responding to questions within a few hours.
- Very knowledgeable and a great communicator. His response times to emails, etc. were outstanding.
- Professor Doane was outstanding during the seminars and discussions. His gradings were fair and expected effort from each of us. Every question I had was answered quickly and correctly.
- Very good at what he does. Quick to respond to questions and emails. He deserves a raise. 🙂
- Great communication and quick responses to questions. Very helpful seminars. I had to miss one and I hated that I missed it. I learned so much more going to the seminar. Love the class, love the professor. Wish all my professors were as helpful and directional.
- Professor Doane’s ability to connect with individuals and share his own experiences and insights were extraordinary! His interaction during live seminars were beyond expectations; never left one student hanging on a question. Professor William Doane is by far one of the best here…
- My professor was awesome, extremely knowledgeable and helpful in creating a clear understanding of the course material.
- Professor went above and beyond by taking time to answer any and all questions I had regarding this course. Teacher extended office hours frequently to answer my questions completely and also pointed me in directions I had not even thought of. The professor is clearly on of the best and certainly demonstrates an above average concern for the student and the student’s ability to succeed in their course as well as others. A+
- This was one of my favorite classes and that is in large part due to the professor. He helped me learn a lot in a very short time. Unlike a lot of classes that teach the material only to have it drain away 2 weeks after the course ends, I think I will retain what I’ve learned here!
- My questions were always answered and when I had real trouble, when my files were really unorganized, he [spent time on the phone with me and] got it all straightened out. [online student]
- Thank Professor for, well, everything. For being informative, professional; for your guidance, understanding, feedback, humor, human element and being there as a guide for this milestone in my life. I appreciate you and won’t ever forget you. Your informative comedic/human touch in the seminars was such a welcome and refreshing invitation after a long day’s work.
- Wil is very funny and makes class very interesting.
- Wil rocks. I can’t think of a way he can improve!
- My instructor was awesome. He is extremely smart and humorous. Wil was perfect.
- The instructor couldn’t improve; he is knowledgeable and funny and nothing more could be asked for. Strengths: keeps the class interested; explains things well great supplemental activities; friendly.
- He was awesome.
- My instructor was a very good teacher and always considerate of students individual needs.
- He know [sic] the stuff and made class interesting.
- The best part about the instructor was he had a sense of humor and he made class fun and interesting. I can’t think of any ways he can improve.
- He was very funny, taught in interesting and fun ways, and knew what he was talking about.
- He was very good at explaining confusing concepts and has an interesting sense of humor.
- Wil Doane deserves special mention for doing an outstanding job with a diverse and large group. His generous willingness to extend lab time was greatly appreciated.
- Wil deserves the medal of honor!
- Wil’s presentations were very well done — step-by-step in a very logical sequence.
- Excellent — super knowledgeable.
- Wil went beyond the call of duty — willing to do whatever could be done to help his students.
- Adapted the plan to the needs of the group. We were made to feel comfortable working in a new medium; didn’t talk down to us, as some teachers are prone to do with neophytes. Wil seems to be a born teacher — he has the knack of presenting clear statements in a pleasant way.
- Gave us his very best. I feel I learned a great deal in both the technology and hands-on computer classes.
- Knowledgeable, patient, tolerant, which was appreciated by all. Subject matter capably changed early on when pulse of the group indicated change was needed.
- I appreciated the effort that Wil made to change his original curriculum to a fascinating overlook of the theory & applications of computers and technology — and he did it overnight! He never talked down to us, gave us copious handouts, has a great sense of humor, and is a wonderful teacher. (Having been a teacher myself for 30 years I can fully appreciate his quality of teaching.) He was willing to spend extra time with us after class for many hours which was much appreciated.
- It was very generous of Wil to change his course in order to meet our needs.
- In one night after learning that the group didn’t really want to discuss the topic he proposed, Wil Doane came up with a masterful explanation of the basic structure of the computer’s operation– exactly what we did want, but hadn’t really expressed.